USING CUSTOMER PERSONAL HIDES
J.B. Hill Boot Company can make custom cowboy boots, shoes, belts, wallets, purses and other leather goods using your hides, or skins, from elephant, alligator, cape buffalo, hippo, American bison, etc. from both international and domestic hunts. Hunters from all over the world provided us with their tanned skins to make products that can be used as a personal mementos of their hunt for a lifetime.
The staff and boot makers at J.B. Hill Boots are pleased to produce leather products utilizing your skins and hides from your hunts. When we receive your skins or hides at the factory, we will inspect and evaluate them for suitability for boots, belts and bags. If we determine the leather, for one reason or another, is unsuitable we will notify you and return the skins or dispose of them at your direction.
Our policy is to stand behind the quality and fit of the products we produce. However, we are unable to guarantee the durability and color fastness of leather that we don’t provide. Therefore, in the unfortunate case personal skins or hides don’t hold up during processing, or after the product is made, the customer must bear the risk.
WHAT CONDITION SHOULD THE HIDE BE IN?
We need hides to be tanned and ready for production.
- In most cases, if you harvest hides from a hunt, skins should be tanned in the country of origin.
- Ask for references and samples on who you should use. Your outfitters should be very knowledgeable on this.
- Choose colors that can be universal (i.e. if you select black or a dark color, you cannot lighten the skin or change it). Lighter colors can be used in the lighter shades for a project and then additional projects can be dyed into darker or different colors.
- Please be aware that “grey” colors can sometimes take on a “green” hue if the color is altered into brown shades.
- Our policy is to stand behind the quality and fit of the products we produce. However, we are unable to guarantee the durability and color fastness of leather that we don’t provide. Therefore, in the unfortunate case personal skins or hides don’t hold up during processing, or after the product is made, the customer must bear the risk.
HIDE TANNING IF IN THE RAW STATE
There are several tanneries in the U.S. that can assist you with the tanning process of raw hides. Some specialize more than others on specific hides or skins.
Hides or skins must be processed thru a tannery, not a taxidermist. Tannery’s have the knowledge to properly process skins and hides for footwear and accessories.
AMERICAN ALLIGATORS, CROCODILES OR CAIMAN HIDES
When the animal is very large, the “Hornback” side of the skin is too thick and cannot be used in products. Please make sure that you request a cut of the belly portion.
- We recommend a “Matte / Desert” finish – which has a natural luster and is less prone to cracking than the shiny “Classic” finish.
- Color selection should be considered if you want multiple items in different colors, dark color cannot be lightened.
- How large and clean a hide is will determine how many products you can make from it. We will lay out patterns and send you pictures so you are part of the selection process. You will know ahead of production what the skin will yield and the scale design of each product.
- We recommend American Tanning in GA, their contract tanning service section which will guide you to their requirements and costs.
AMERICAN BISON, CAPE BUFFALO, HIPPO, ELEPHANT, ETC. HIDES
- We recommend having your hide tanned in the country of origin if possible, if not you can have it tanned in the U.S.
- Make sure to advise the tannery of the products you intend to make from your hides so they will properly tan the leather (from the tannage to the weight / thickness of the leather).
- If you locate tanneries, we would suggest you get references and samples of products they have produced.
WHAT WE DO WITH YOUR LEFT OVER HIDE
J.B. Hill Boots can retain your leather for future projects or return the remainder of your hide with your product .
HOW TO GET FITTED OR PLACE AN ORDER
We have several different sizing options available which we stand behind, whether we do the fitting thru the mail or in person.
- Fittings thru the mail – it’s as easy as downloading the sizing forms from our website. Complete the measuring & outlining section and mail it us. We require a deposit in place to forward a pair of “fitter” boots to assist you with sizing. These boots are made in a standard size closest to the information you have provided. It will allow us to gather all additional sizing information for your custom fit.
- You can opt for a standard size and waive the fitting, however we highly recommend sending you “fitter boots” to try on to verify your size.
- You can place your order by completing the order form on line or contact customer service and we will be happy to assist you with your order.
- If you are an existing client with an established fit, you may not need to go thru the fitting process.
- If it is more convenient, we can come to you at your expense. It is especially cost effective when there are multiple people being fitted.
WHAT IS THE COST?
- We have a 1-time fitting fee of $500 to build a boot last (form used in sizing) that we retain for future orders.
- Our base fee when you provide the hide is $1500.00. This is the same if you want the entire boot made from your hide or only the vamp (foot) portion. We can provide an entry level leather (calf, kangaroo, water buffalo, horse) for the tops in your price quote.
- We offer upgrades and customize your designs with inlays, toe selections, initials, etc. for additional charges.
- Sales tax is only charged for products shipped to addresses in Texas.
CONTACT US FOR QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
- Complete the customer service form
- Telephone – (915) 599-1551
- Email direct to – email@example.com